Common Poisons And Treatments

Common Poisons and Treatments: An Overview Image

Even the safest homes likely contain some form of poison or drugs that are dangerous when ingested in large quantities. Poisoning can happen to anyone at any age. This is why it’s so important to understand how to recognize the symptoms of poisoning and how to react in an emergency poisoning situation.

A poison is any substance that can inflict harm or cause death in humans. Because of their potency or common presence in the household, there are several poisons that affect humans more than others. Some substances are more likely to harm children, while others more commonly injure adults.

Common Poisons List

Some household products are more likely to poison children than adults, namely because adults know better than to ingest them. The following poisons commonly cause harm to children:

  • Cleaning products: Keep products like laundry detergent, furniture polish and drain cleaners on a high shelf and out of reach from children.
  • Cosmetics and other personal care products: Be sure your children know that products like mouthwash, perfume and nail polish remover are not meant for playing and shouldn’t be ingested.
  • Plants: Many household plants — such as daffodils and holly — can poison a child if they ingest the plant or play with it and then rub their eyes. Be sure you keep any plants out of the reach of your children and instruct them not to eat garden plants.

Other substances more commonly affect adults, including:

  • Alcohol: Alcohol poisoning occurs as a result of excessive drinking, can result in seizures and, in severe cases, death. Before drinking, be sure that you’re aware if you’re allergic to any types of alcohol, and watch how much you drink.
  • Bug bites: Insects like bees, scorpions and fire ants can be poisonous and cause severe allergic reactions. Be sure to wear bug repellent when outside and be cautious of areas with venomous bugs.
  • Pain medicine: Drugs can act as a poison when too much is taken.