Common Poisons And Treatments Most Dangerous Products

Statistics show that poisoning from household products is the most common cause of nonfatal accidents in the home. In fact, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, 93 percent of possible poisonings take place at home. Common sources of household poison include:

  • Cleaning products
  • Lead
  • Pesticides
  • Prescription medications.

In order to prevent household poisons from affecting your health and the health of those you love, it’s important to be aware of the ten most dangerous household products. In addition, recognizing the signs of poisoning and learning poison safety tips and treatments can help you keep your family safe.

The Ten Most Dangerous Household Products

Although a variety of things in and around your home can cause poisoning, including plants and foods, ten types of common poison in the household are considered to be the most hazardous. The ten most dangerous household products are:

  • Antifreeze
  • Bleach
  • Drain cleaner
  • Furniture polish
  • Gasoline
  • Insecticide
  • Iron-containing vitamins
  • Medicine
  • Nail polish remover
  • Windshield wiper fluid.

Each of these products is a common poison that you may use every day, not realizing the danger. However, if you learn to recognize the signs of poisoning, you can respond immediately in the case of an emergency.

Symptoms of Common Household Poisons

Symptoms of poisoning vary depending on many factors, including the type and severity of the poisoning and the individual. However, some general symptoms of household poisoning include:

  • Burns on or around the mouth
  • General pain in the body
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Trouble breathing
  • Vomiting.

If you or someone you know experiences these symptoms, seek medical attention right away by calling 911 or the Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222.

Poison Safety Tips and Treatments

Despite the fact that household products like antifreeze and furniture polish are each considered a household poison, you can still take measures to use them safely in your home. Several poison safety tips can help to ensure that you and your loved ones remain healthy, including:

  • Don’t put any sort of hazardous household product in a drink or food container.
  • Educate everyone in your home about which household products are poisonous and which ones are safe.
  • Keep all medications, cleaners, poisonous plants and other poisonous substances on high shelves where children cannot reach them.
  • Label all of your cleaners, medications and food to indicate the expiration date and proper instructions for use.

Aside from these preventative safety tips, if an emergency poisoning situation does occur, you can take several steps to treat the situation, such as:

  • Be sure the victim is getting enough air. If needed, give the victim CPR or take him outside to get fresh air.
  • Have the victim spit out the remainder of any ingested poison; do not induce vomiting.
  • Treat any burns with an emergency aid kit (be sure to wear protective clothing).

If symptoms are severe or you suspect poisoning from one of the ten most dangerous household products, call 911 for immediate emergency help.


Health-Care-Clinic. (n.d.). Poisoning from household chemicals. Retrieved May 18, 2010, from

Merck. (2009). Introduction: Poisoning. Retrieved May 18, 2010, from

Stason. (n.d.). 47 poisonous household items. Retrieved May 18, 2010, from