Common Poisons And Treatments Further Information

A poison is any substance or product that can cause harm if used incorrectly, from plants and foods to medications and cleaning products. Over two million possible poisonings are reported to poison centers in the United States each year, according to the American Association of Poison Control Centers.

Although you probably encounter poisonous substances on a daily basis, you can prevent poisoning from affecting your health and the health of those you love. If you are looking for tips on how to prevent and treat exposure to poisons, information is available from several sources.

How to Find Poisons Information

Many different organizations offer further information about poisoning, and you can learn a great deal if you know where to look. You can use several methods to gather poisons information, such as:

  • Asking your doctor or another health care professional if you are unclear about preventative measures, symptoms or what to do in an emergency situation.
  • Browsing the Web for government sites, government-supported organizations, medical journals and documents that include information about poisons and poison safety.
  • Calling your local poison control center to speak with a medical professional about how to prevent or treat poisoning.
  • Going to your local library and reading medical journals, magazines and government-supported books about poisons and poison safety.

Once you have gained more knowledge about preventing and treating poison exposures, you can share it with friends and family.

Poison Control Information

Your main resource for poison control information will likely be the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) and your local affiliated poison control center. The AAPCC represents 60 poison control centers in the United States, all accessed through one national phone number, (800) 222-1222. Every poison control center is staffed by medical experts, including:

  • Nurses
  • Pharmacists
  • Physicians
  • Toxicology specialists.

Poison control center staff members are on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to answer questions over the phone and give information about possible poisonings.

According to the AAPCC, over 70 percent of annual calls to poison control centers are resolved with the phone call, and the victim does not need to go to a medical facility. The majority of the remaining 30 percent of the calls are from doctors and nurses looking for further information about poisoning.

Poison centers also often provide educational outreach services to teach about poison prevention and treatments. Poison control center websites can be a valuable source of information; check the AAPCC website to find your local center.

Other Poisons Information Resources

Other government agencies offer further information about poisoning, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Both the CDC and USDA websites have a wealth of information about various types of poisons; just do a search for your specific topic.

With the right tools and information, you can learn preventative steps to protect your health, home and the health of those around you from poisoning accidents.

Resources

American Association of Poison Control Centers. (n.d.). About AAPCC. Retrieved May 25, 2010, from Control Centers website: http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/AAPCC/AboutAAPCC/tabid/410/Default.aspx.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.). Report an emergency. Retrieved May 25, 2010, from http://www.bt.cdc.gov/emcontact/.

United States Department of Agriculture. (n.d.). Contact us. Retrieved from http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/usda/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os_gAC9-wMJ8QY0MDpxBDA09nXw9DFxcXQ-cAA_2CbEdFAEUOjoE!/?navtype=MA