Common Poisons And Treatments Causes Poisoning Garden Plants

If you have a garden, it’s likely full of healthy vegetables and herbs, or an array of colorful flowers. Though your garden may seem harmless, some common garden plants are poisonous if they’re ingested.

Poisonous plants grow in various places, and they may be closer than you think. Some of the most common poisonous plants and their symptoms are:

  • Black locust: Eating black locust seeds, bark and leaves can cause nausea, weakness and even depression.
  • Buttercup: The juices of the buttercup’s petals and foliage can injure the digestive system.
  • Daffodil: Eating daffodil bulbs causes digestive complications, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. It can be fatal in severe cases.
  • Mistletoe: Mistletoe berries can be fatal to both children and adults.
  • Oleander: Ingesting oleander can affect the heart and digestive system, and in some cases, it can be fatal.

Some poisonous plants resemble their edible counterparts. If you commonly eat wild roots or vegetables, learn to distinguish between the two. For example, some poisonous wild mushrooms resemble edible ones and parts of the dangerous poison hemlock resemble an edible wild carrot.

Poison Ivy: Symptoms and Treatments

Poison ivy is one of the most common plants that can cause an allergic reaction. Poison ivy can cause skin irritation and rash either via direct or secondary contact. This means that if you touch something that has been in contact with poison ivy, you may develop a reaction.

Although some people are not affected by poison ivy, research has shown that one can gain and lose immunity to poison ivy. Some common symptoms linked to this poisonous plant are:

  • Blisters on the skin
  • Itchy patches on your skin
  • Red sores on your skin.

Depending on the severity of your rash, poison ivy symptoms can last anywhere from one to three weeks. You’ll want to see a doctor if:

  • The rash affects sensitive areas on your body, such as your eyes, mouth or genitals
  • The reaction is severe and affects a large portion of your body
  • Your blisters are oozing pus
  • You develop a high fever.

Some home remedies, such as oatmeal baths and cool compresses, can help ease the itching and discomfort caused by poison ivy.

Other Poisonous Plants and Treatments

Some plants’ poison can cause nausea, fever and vomiting. Symptoms will vary depending on the type of poisonous plant to which you have been exposed and the amount you’ve ingested.

Since eating some poisonous plants can be fatal, it’s imperative to call poison control in the event of an emergency. You may also want to educate your children about the poisonous plants surrounding your home. Keep pets away from poisonous plants to ensure they don’t have a bad reaction by accidentally ingesting plants’ poison.

Plants that almost always prove fatal if ingested include rosary pea and castor bean seeds, rhododendrons, azaleas, water hemlock and nightshade.

Resources

Mayo Clinic. (n. d.). Poison ivy rash. Retrieved May 16, 2010, from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/poison-ivy/DS00774/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs.

Sachs, J. (n.d.). Facts about poison ivy. Retrieved May 16, 2010, from http://www.poison-ivy.org/html/faq.htm.

Texas A